Vegetarian Black Lentil, Spinach and Chickpea Soup
Happy Friday, Soupers! Spring is upon us and we made it through our first week at home, under quarantine from the coronavirus. We asked our fans on Instagram to vote on their favorite version of this soup: broth or cream. While our fans picked the broth, the youngin’s picked cream, so we made both. Link to the second soup at the end of this post. Nothing tastes more delicious than this broth Black Lentil, Spinach and Chickpea Soup! Staying true to our reason for creating Simply Souperlicious in the first place, we decided on this soup simply because we’d never eaten black lentils. The soup is filling, freezes wonderfully and utterly delicious!
1/2 lb of carrots, peeled and chopped
1 cup Beluga (black) lentils
5 button mushrooms
1 bunch of spinach
1 can of chickpeas
5 cup(s) vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
3 bay leaves
1 red onion
1 shallot (raw), chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 sprig thyme
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon spicy paprika
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 squeeze lemon
Pinch salt and pepper to taste
Cilantro leaves for garnish
- Prep 30min
- Meal Time Dinner
- Serves 4
- Heat 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil in large soup pot over medium-low heat. Saute spinach. Add onions, shallots, garlic, and sweat until translucent and soft.
- Pour in 1-2 cups vegetable stock.
- Add sweated vegetables, black lentils, thyme, paprika, carrots, mushrooms and potatoes. Add just enough stock to cover the surface of the contents of the soup (you can always add more stock later to thin down, if necessary!)
- Season with nutmeg, balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper.
- Bring soup to a low simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Splash with lemon and serve.