Creamy Vegetarian Black Lentil, Spinach and Chickpea Soup
Happy Saturday, Soupers! Remember that brothy vegetarian Black Lentil, Spinach, and Chickpea Soup from yesterday! Well, it’s back but this time in a creamy, more vegan variety. Check out this souper easy recipe!
1/2 lb of carrots, peeled and chopped
1 cup Beluga (black) lentils
5 button mushrooms
1 bunch of spinach
1 can of chickpeas
5 cup(s) vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
3 bay leaves
1 red onion
1 shallot (raw), chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 sprig thyme
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon spicy paprika
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 squeeze lemon
Pinch salt and pepper to taste
1 cup, coconut milk (or almond milk)
1 tablespoon coconut butter
Cilantro leaves for garnish
- Prep 30min
- Meal Time Dinner
- Serves 4
- Heat 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil in large soup pot over medium-low heat. Saute spinach. Add onions, shallots, garlic, and sweat until translucent and soft.
- Pour in 1-2 cups vegetable stock.
- Add sweated vegetables, black lentils, thyme, paprika, carrots, mushrooms and potatoes. Add just enough stock to cover the surface of the contents of the soup (you can always add more stock later to thin down, if necessary!)
- Season with nutmeg, balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper.
- Bring soup to a low simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or hand blender, add coconut butter and milk, blend soup until smooth—you may need to do this in two batches depending on your size blender.
- Place soup back in pot and reheat to serve. Season and add a final splash of lemon.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.