Creamy Vegetarian Cauliflower and Zucchini Soup
Happy Sunday, Soupers! Today is also our “Fridge Dump”! So, what do you do with some sad looking cauliflower and zucchini begging to be made? Throw them into a nice vegetarian soup! Plus, I could pull out the soup maker today!
In fact, if you’re using a soup maker, Instapot or crockpot, you call add all of the ingredients and once and cook per appliance directions. If you want to make it on your cooktop, follow the directions below. One of the best parts? You can take an leftover cold soup, stir it into some cooked rice, add vegetables, cheese and make an awesome vegetarian rice bake!
This soup is delicious, nourishing, light but filling. We coupled the soup with some chickpea meatballs and now, we’re stuffed! In fact, I think I need a nap!
3 quarts vegetable broth
3 zucchinis peeled and chopped
1 medium potato peeled and cubed
1 head of cauliflower chopped (frozen florets work also)
1 green onion chopped
1 clove of garlic chopped
1 medium leek chopped
1 bay leaf
1 scallion chopped
1 cup of milk
2 tablespoons Crème fraîche
¼ stick of butter
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 sprig of thyme
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Splash lemon juice
- Prep 10min
- Meal Time Lunch
- Serves 4
- Heat broth in a pot or soup kettle. Add thyme, bay leaf, turmeric and balsamic vinegar.
- Sautée the shallots, green onions, garlic, zucchini, potato and leeks in a pan on high heat with a little oil. Set to the side.
- Note: You can roast the cauliflower in the over for about 10 minutes beforehand.
- Remove the thyme sprig and bay leaf from the broth. Add the sautéed vegetables, zucchini, cauliflower to the broth and cook for about 20 minutes on medium heat. Remove from heat.
- Add milk, Crème fraîche and butter to the soup. Use blender until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook on low for another 5 to 7 minutes. Stir lemon juice.