Spinach, Sausage and Potato Soup
Happy Sunday, Soupers! As we settle in for our coronavirus/COVID-19 quarantine here in Switzerland, we’re doing all that we can to keep our immunity boosted. In addition to eating healthy, staying rested, well hydrated and moving our bodies — even if it is just around the apartment. We found what we needed in this Spinach, Sausage and Potato Soup! Fresh, canned or frozen, all are totally great options for making this soup and it’s totally adaptable. You can make as mild or as spicy as you’d like. The end result — truly delicious!
In these crazy times ahead, let’s remember that we’re all in this together. Let’s remember to stay kind to ourselves as well as others. Stay healthy!
1 lb sausage chopped
1/2 cup white wine
4 tablespoons, unsalted butter
1 large leek, trimmed, sliced, and well rinsed
1 bunch spinach or chard chopped
10 medium button mushrooms chopped
1 red scallion
5 cups (1,25l) chicken stock
1 lb russet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 large carrot, sliced
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 sprig of thyme
2 bay leaves
1 cup (250ml) crème fraîche
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon paprika hot
1/8 teaspoon flour
1 squeeze of lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
Dill as final garnish
- Prep 10min
- Meal Time Dinner
- Serves 4
- Bring vegetable stock to a boil with an added chicken or vegetable bouillon.
- Remove the sausage from casing and lightly brown.
- Add sausage, balsamic vinegar, thyme, lemon juice, paprika and bay leaves to the stock and cook on low heat for 20 minutes, then remove the bay leaf.
- Melt the butter and olive oil in a soup pot and saute the leeks, red scallion, mushrooms, garlic and potatoes for 10 minutes, or until soft. Add in the spinach or chard for another five minutes.
- Add vegetable mixture to broth. Sprinkle in a teaspoon of flour with butter and continue simmering.
- Stir in cream, nutmeg, ginger, lemon juice and turmeric. Gently simmer on low heat until cooked through, just a few minutes. Add the remaining dill, and salt and pepper to taste.