Coconut Shrimp, Cabbage and Rice Soup
Happy Sunday, Soupers! What’s yellow, light, delicate and 100 percent yummy? Coconut Shrimp, Cabbage and Rice soup! Summer is in full swing here in Switzerland, so that last thing we needed was a complicated meal. Nothing gets easier than this! If you close your eyes, you’ll swear you’re on holiday! The best part, you can easily adapt this soup by swapping out the shrimp for chicken, and swap the cabbage for spinach and voila — an entirely different soup, but still oh, so good!
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 lb shrimp frozen
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 pecorino pepper cored and chopped finely
- 5 leaves of uncooked Napa cabbage chopped
- 2 tablespoon coconut butter
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into pieces
- 3 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon spicy paprika
- 2 qt low sodium vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prep 20min
- Meal Time Lunch
- Serves 4
- In a large pot over medium heat, warm the sesame oil. Add garlic, peppers, mushrooms, lemongrass, and 1/2 tsp salt and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the shrimp, chopped Napa cabbage, ginger, turmeric and vegetable stock. Add in syrup, fish sauce and lime juice.
- Add in coconut milk and butter. Bring to a boil, add in rice, stir, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10-20 minutes (uncovered). Discard lemongrass.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and a splash of lemon juice.