Sweet Corn Chowder
Happy Saturday, Soupers! Don’t you just love summer sweet corn? Then you’ll love this Sweet Corn Chowder! I will admit that when I first proposed this soup to my two youngin’s they were not so thrilled. But, once they had a taste of this rich, thick and cheesy soup, they quickly changed their minds! Now, the ideal recipe would include fresh corn from the cob. But if that’s not in abundance, don’t let that stop you from enjoying this goodness! Use frozen or canned corn. In this recipe, we used canned corn and it turned out terrific and hey, what can we say? The soup kettle is empty!
- 1 can sweet corn
- 1 can whole kernel corn
- 3 slices of bacon diced
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 3 medium potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 leek chopped
- 1 shallot chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 pecorino pepper cored and chopped (can substitute with bell pepper)
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 dill
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup crème fraîche
- 1/2 grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chives (to garnish)
- Prep 25min
- Meal Time Lunch
- Serves 4
- Cook bacon pieces in large heavy bottomed soup pot until crisp. Remove the bacon from the pot temporarily and leave the bacon oil.
- To the pot, add in onions, shallots, garlic, leeks, potatoes and sauté for roughly five minutes.
- Add butter and slowly whisk in flour until the mixture is light brown.
- Slowly stir in broth and continue whisking.
- Add in corn, carrots, celery, thyme, dill, paprika, turmeric, and salt and pepper.
- Stir in a bay leaves, bacon, balsamic vinegar, pepper and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a low boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer. Stir occasionally and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir milk, cream and cheese a continue to simmer for another five minutes until thick.
- Serve sprinkled with remaining chives if desired.