Chicken, Spinach and Lasagna Soup
Happy Hump Day, Soupers! Okay, so how are we feeling about cheesy chicken, spinach lasagna soup, huh? I know…good right? It turned out to be a great recipe because I wanted something hearty but I didn’t want to make actual “lasagne”. As the youngin’s say, the « broth smashes »!
This soup is souper easy to make and if you want a vegetarian version, just leave out the chicken!
1 chicken thigh
1 lb chicken breast chopped (1 lb of sausage with casings removed)
2 cups spinach (fresh)
8 lasagna noodles; broken into 2-inch long pieces
1 yellow onion (sweet) chopped
1 stalk of celery chopped
1 red onion
1 shallot (raw), chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 green onion, chopped
3 cup(s) chicken stock with 1 chicken bouillon cube (vegetable stock)
3 bay leaves
1 sprig, thyme
1/4 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/4 cup crème fraîche
1/3 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon, spicy paprika
1/8 teaspoon, turmeric
1/i teaspoon, nutmeg
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Pinch salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of sugar
1 squeeze lemon
2 tablespoon butter
4 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup, 2% milk
- Prep 40min
- Meal Time Dinner
- Serves 4
- Place pot on the stove at medium heat.
- Add butter and stir around the pot with a whisk or fork until melting
- Gradually add flour to the butter and continue to stir without stopping.
- Gradually pour in milk to the mixture without stopping. The mixture should take thick consistency.
- Keep stirring until the mixture turns a light brown and then set aside.
- With olive oil, season and brown the chicken thighs on both sides.
Remove from heat.
- Bring stock to a boil with bouillon and add browned chicken thigh, balsamic vinegar, paprika, thyme and bay leaves to the stock and cook on low heat.
- With a bit more olive oil, saute chopped red onions, green onions, yellow onions, leeks, garlic, shallots and celery, and then briefly remove from heat.
- Brown chopped chicken breast and then remove from heat.
- Add boiling broth to roux.
- Remove the chicken thigh and using two forks, pull the meat from the bones and add back into the soup and continue cooking on low.
- Discard thyme and bay leaves from the broth.
- Add vegetables, chicken breast cubed, and all spices to the broth.
- Add in each block of dried lasagna one at a time to the boiling broth. Add tomato paste and a pinch of sugar. Stir together for five minute.
- Add salt, pepper to taste and cook for about 35 minutes.
- Stir in crème fraîche
- Stir in parmesan cheese until melted.
- Remove from heat and finish with a splash of lemon juice and serve in a bowl.