Spicy Chicken Noodle Soup
Happy Sunday, Soupers! With so much uncertainty, I think a lot of us are thinking about how to stretch meals so that we can reduce runs to grocery stores/limiting outside exposure, save money and reduce food waste. Case in point today’s Spicy Noodle Soup!
Actually, we made a soup about a week ago of just chicken and noodles in broth — easy, quick meals that my kids still love when staving off colds. We’d been eating it for a few days, and I knew they would not want anymore, but refreezing or worst, throwing it out were not options. Remember what we say: nothing goes to waste.
So for lunch, we heated up the noodles and chicken, added more water and loaded up on spices. But we also added yellow lentils, potatoes, spinach and my favorite secret ingredients — turmeric, lime juice and cilantro. It turned into a completely different meal and nothing was left after lunch. They say necessity is the mother of invention, so we’re down with getting more creative. Give it a try and let us know how you improved your version!
2 chicken thigh and legs
1/2 cup cooked pasta noodles
5 cups (1,25l) chicken or vegetable stock
4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 bunch spinach
½ cup yellow lentils
4 tablespoons, unsalted butter
1 large leek, trimmed, sliced, and well rinsed
1 red scallion
1 clove garlic
1 large carrot, sliced
1 stalk of celery chopped
1 can of chickpeas
1 sprig thyme
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
3 tablespooon white wine
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon spicy paprika
1 squeeze of lime juice
Salt and pepper to taste
Cilantro to garnish (optional)
- Prep 30min
- Meal Time Lunch
- Serves 4
- Bring chicken and stock to a boil with chicken or vegetable bouillon.
- Add cooked pasta noodles, yellow lentils, with white wine vinegar, thyme, lemon juice, paprika to the stock. Add bay leaves to the stock and cook on low heat.
- Once the broth is ready, remove the bay leaves.
- Melt the butter and olive oil in a soup in a pan and saute the leeks, potatoes, red scallion, carrots, celery, garlic and spinach for 10 minutes, or until soft.
- Add the vegetable to the stock. Add chickpeas, turmeric, nutmeg and spicy paprika to the stock and continuing simmering.
- Add in white wine.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Add a generous squeeze of lime juice, stir
- Add cilantro as garnish and serve.