Chard, Chickpea and Quinoa Soup
Ever eat something that tastes better a day or two later? That’s how we’re feeling about this vegan Quinoa, Chard and Chickpea soup! So good and healthy, you can eat it year round and it’s quick to make!
Really nice starter for dinner, or even lunch. Comfort food experience assured. If you like a little heat, just add a bit of spicy paprika or cayenne pepper for an extra kick! Go ahead and give it a try!
1 tbsp olive oil
1 stalk of celery chopped
2 medium carrot (raw) chopped
1 cup quinoa
1 cup chard (just the green leaves) chopped
1 can chickpea (with the liquid)
1 shallot chopped
1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic
Pinch salt, pepper and paprika
1 bay leaf
2 qt low sodium veggie stock
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp saffron
1 tsp turmeric
1 tbs coconut butter
1 squeezed lemon
- Prep 25min
- Meal Time Lunch
- Serves 4
- In a large pot over medium heat, warm the olive oil.
- Add onion, garlic, celery, chard, leeks, carrots and 1/2 tsp salt and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add ginger and saffron.
- Stir in the quinoa, bay leaf and cook until soften, about 3 minutes more
- Add in vegetable stock, quinoa and chickpeas. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes (uncovered), or until both the quinoa and chickpeas are cooked. Remove the bay leaf.
- Finish with a squeeze of lemon and serve.