Lemon Chicken with Spinach and Wild Rice Soup
Happy Sunday, Soupers! After a week of travel, upset tummies requires light meals.
Guess who’s back from her field trip to Poland? The teen girl! Tummy is a little upset, so w e’re going with lemon chicken, wild rice and spinach soup with ginger and turmeric. This soup is so delicious and hearty, that it sure to make the entire family smile. So if you’re looking for a delicious Lemon Chicken and Rice Soup, let this lemony goodness soothe your cold. Enjoy!
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic
1 tsp salt, divided
Pinch salt, pepper, and paprika
¾ cup wild rice
1 bay leaf
1.5 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
2 qt low sodium chicken stock
4 eggs (2 whole eggs + 2 egg yolks)
¼ cup lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
1 cup chard
1/2 cup fresh dill
- Prep 25min
- Meal Time Lunch
- Serves 4
- In a large pot over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add onion, garlic, leeks, carrots, and 1/2 tsp salt and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the rice, bay leaf (if using), chicken and chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes (uncovered), or until both the rice and chicken are cooked.
- Remove the bay leaf and transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Use two forks to shred the chicken.
- Return the chicken to the pot along with the chard (if using). Simmer until the spinach wilts, about 2 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the 2 whole eggs, 2 egg yolks, and lemon juice until smooth. VERY slowly pour in 2 cups of the hot broth while whisking constantly.
- Stir the lemony egg liquid back into the soup along with the remaining 1/2 tsp salt.
- Simmer it gently for a couple of minutes. Taste and add more salt if you think it needs it (depends on the chicken broth used).
- Stir in lots of cracked pepper. Serve topped with lots of fresh dill, a drizzle of olive oil and more black pepper.