Borscht (Beet Soup)*
Beets haven’t always gotten love in our house. We’re changing that with our first try at Borscht. Try this recipe and experience these glorious purple veggies the way Mother Nature intended!
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ oz butter
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 celery stick, diced
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 medium-sized beetroots, peeled and diced
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 6 cups of beef stock
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- ½ purple cabbage finely shredded
- 2 tomatoes, skinned, cored and chopped
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tbsp finely chopped dill
- Prep 25min
- Meal Time Lunch
- Serves 4
- Heat the vegetable oil and butter in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Once melted add the carrot, celery, and onion and cook gently for a few minutes. Add the beetroot, potato, and garlic. Fry for a couple of minutes, until well coated and combined.
- Add the stock and season with salt and black pepper. Bring to just below the boil and then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and tomatoes. Add the vinegar. Cover and leave to simmer for a further 20 minutes.
- Serve the soup with dollops of sour cream and a sprinkling of dill.