Vegetable Romanesco Soup
Happy Christmas Eve, Soupers!
So we told you about the Romanesco and we love us some them! See what we did there? Two sets of paraphrased song lyrics — let us know which two in the comments! Hints: A Beatle and a Braxton. Back to to Romanesco Broccoli and Potato Soup! And more importantly, about Romanesco — until last week, I’d never eaten it before. I’d never seen it before moving to Europe. So of course, I had to try it.
As for the soup, it’s awesome and chock full of chard, zucchini, and wee bit of snow peas! It makes for a delicious lunch and honestly, it’s filling so you don’t have to add anything more.
I think I hear someone in the kitchen going in for seconds! I need to eat before it gets cold or there’s none left. Have a try and let us know what you think! Happy Holidays!
5 small potatoes peeled and cubed
2 heads of romanesco broccoli chopped
2 medium zucchini, chopped
1 cup snow peas
1 bunch chard
1 red onion
1 shallot (raw), chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 green onion, chopped
2 carrots peeled and chopped
1/8 teaspoon spicy paprika
5 cup(s) vegetable stock
3 bay leaves
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Pinch salt and pepper to taste
1 cup, 2 % milk (soy, almond, rice or skim as alternatives work fine)
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon, crème fraîche or fresh cream
1 squeeze lemon
- Prep 10min
- Meal Time Lunch
- Serves 4
- Bring vegetable stock to a boil. Add balsamic vinegar, and bay leaves to the stock. Add salt and pepper to taste and cook for about 20 minutes. Then remove the bay leaves.
- Chop potatoes, onions, leeks, zucchini, garlic, broccoli, carrots, chard and shallots and sauté with olive oil over high heat for roughly 3 minutes.
- Add snow peas to the broth.
- Add vegetable mixture and boiling stock to soup maker continue cooking on low heat for 25 minutes.
- Add milk, butter, and cream to the mixture. Blend to desired consistency.
- Add a splash of lemon juice. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Finish off with the final sprig of parsley and serve in a bowl.