Steak and Potato Soup
When I was a kid growing up in Chicago, I loved Chunky Steak and Potato soup. Heck, I still love it whenever I’m back home, and this homemade soup is our take on this Campbell’s classic.
While we strive to create healthy soups, it’s also okay to have a little something less healthy on occasion. To quote my very lovely Parisian dietitian: « You can have anything you want — but in moderation…enjoy your food for after all, you ARE in France. » I’m no longer in France, but the advice is still valid so go ahead and enjoy!
5 medium potatoes peeled and cubed
1 pound beef stew meat, cut into about 1 inch cubes. (Meat can be replaced with pork or lamb)
1 red onion
1 shallot (raw), chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 green onion, chopped
5 medium mushrooms (optional)
3 medium carrots (optional)
1/8 teaspoon spicy paprika
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Pinch salt and pepper to taste
5 cups of water
1 cube of beef bouillon
3 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon butter
- Prep 10min
- Meal Time Dinner
- Serves 4
- Season stew meat with salt and pepper. Melt the olive oil in a slow cooker and brown the stew meat for about 15 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Add chopped potatoes, red onions, carrots, leeks, garlic, shallots, and mushrooms to the slow cooker, stirring for about 3 minutes.
- Once browned, add water and beef bouillon cube and cook on medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Add balsamic vinegar, butter, and flour to the mixture and cover. Continue cooking for another 30 minutes. Check the water and stir on regularly. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- The mixture should form a light gravy or sauce. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes and serve.
Want to comment?Sign in or Register