Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
Happy Halloween, Soupers! Here’s a secret: I’ve never eaten butternut squash before. It’s true! But we roasted the squash with olive oil, honey and rosemary. we scooped out the center and added in the holy triumvirate of fall spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger and it was awesome!
Nothing scary here, just our “boo” licious roasted butternut squash soup! Go ahead and give it a try!
1 large butternut squash, sliced lengthwise and roasted
3 large carrots, roasted
1/8 teaspoon rosemary
1/8 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon all spice
1/8 teaspoon cumin
1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 red onion
1 shallot (raw), chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 sprig thyme
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne powder
1/8 teaspoon spicy paprika
5 cup(s) vegetable stock
3 bay leaves
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons apple-cider vinegar
Pinch salt and pepper to taste
1 cup, almond milk
1 tablespoon coconut butter
1 squeeze lemon
1 squeeze honey
Cilantro leaves for garnish
- Prep 30min
- Meal Time Lunch
- Serves 4
Roasted Butternut Squash and Carrots:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Place butternut squash (sliced lengthwise) on foil-lined baking sheet. Scoop out the center and remove the seeds. Rub both the butternut squash and carrots with olive oil, rosemary, ground cumin. Drizzle on honey.
- Roast butter nut squash and carrots for 25-35 minutes, until they can be easily pierced with a fork. Using spoon, remove the butternut squash meat from skin. Scoop up the carrots. Set both aside in a separate dish.
- Heat 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil in large soup pot over medium-low heat. Add onions, shallots, garlic and sweat until translucent and soft.
- Pour in 1-2 cups vegetable stock. Add diced tomatoes, sweated vegetables, thyme, paprika, squash and carrots. Add just enough stock to cover the surface of the contents of the soup (you can always add more stock later to thin down, if necessary!)
- Season with ground cayenne, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger, apple-cider vinegar, salt & pepper.
- Bring soup to a low simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or stand blender and add avocado, coconut butter and almond milk, blend soup until smooth—you may need to do this in two batches depending on your size blender. Place soup back in pot and reheat to serve. Season and add a final splash of lemon.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.