Chilled Red Lentil and Spinach Soup
Happy Saturday, Soupers! Geez, it’s hot today in Lausanne. After a nice morning by the lake, we’re in need of something filling but COLD! So, you know what’s working for us today? This chilled Red Lentil and Spinach soup.
This quick and easy cold soup will change your mind. Just blend all the ingredient together and chill.
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups red lentils and rinsed
2 bunches of fresh spinach rinsed
1 yellow onion, diced
1 liter vegetable stock
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 small carrot, diced
1 small shallot, chopped
1 stalk celery diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
2 teaspoons turmeric
Juice of 3 small lemons
Salt and pepper to taste
- Prep 30min
- Meal Time Lunch
- Serves 4
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or large pot set over medium heat. Add the onion, shallots, salt and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, carrots and ginger and sauté another minute longer.
- Finally, add the bunches of spinach and sauté until soft. Add a bit more oil if needed.
- Add the broth, turmeric, balsamic vinegar and lentils.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for 45 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and juice and simmer another 30 minutes.
- Let the soup cool for about 20 minutes and add to blender and mix all ingredients until smooth.
- Pour contents into a glass container and cover with plastic wrap.
- Chill for at least 4 hours and serve.