Chicken, Quinoa, Chard and Long and Lima Bean Soup
One of the best things about eating more veggies and grains is that you start CRAVING food big time, and some times, you’ve never eaten what you want. Well, today, we’re craving quinoa and green bean soup! We didn’t stop there, lima beans, chard also added. So good and healthy and we have the energy we need to get those weekend chores done!
If you’re vegan or vegetarian, you can easily turn this recipe into a meatless one.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 stalk of celery chopped
- 2 medium carrot (raw) chopped
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 1/2 lb green beans (ends chopped)
- 1 cup chard (just the green leaves) chopped
- 1 can lima or flava beans (with the liquid)
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 leek
- pinch of salt, pepper and paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 qt low sodium chicken stock with one skinless chicken thigh (or veggie stock)
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp saffron
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 squeezed lemon
- Prep 25min
- Meal Time Lunch
- Serves 4
- In a large pot over medium heat, warm the olive oil.
- Add onion, garlic, celery, Swiss chard, long beans, leeks, carrots and 1/2 tsp salt and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add saffron, ginger and saffron.
- Stir in the quinoa, bay leaf and cook until soften, about 3 minutes more.
- Add in chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes (uncovered), or until both the quinoa and chicken are cooked.
- Remove the bay leaf and transfer the chicken to a cutting board.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken.
- Return the chicken to the pot.
- Simmer about 2 minutes.
- Add lima beans with liquid and continue simmering.
- Finish with a squeeze of lemon and serve.
Want to comment?Sign in or Register