Creamy Green Bean and Potato Soup
Happy Sunday, Soupers! It’s a beautiful warm, sunny day but we still want soup! And, what do you do with an overstock of green beans? Ya turn them into a soup…so, so good.
What we loved about this soup were the flavor and creaminess. And, if you love horseradish as I do, it adds an extra pop of flavor. Normally, we would add some crème fraîche to this recipe, but not this time. No, no. We’ll thicken it with an egg and watch the beautiful ribbons the egg creates.
Finally, for this recipe, we pulled out the Betty Bossy soup maker, but you can get great results with a hand blender also. So go ahead and try it for yourself and let us know what you think!
- 1 lb green beans ( end chopped)
- 5 medium potatoes
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 small leek
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 5 cup(s) chicken stock
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar Pinch salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg
- 1 squeeze lemon
- Prep 10min
- Meal Time Lunch
- Serves 4
- Bring chicken stock to a boil.
- Add apple cider vinegar, and bay leaves to the stock.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Chop potato, onions, leeks, garlic, and saute with olive oil over high heat for roughly 3 minutes.
- Add in green beans with potatoes and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add vegetable mixture and boiling stock to soup maker continue cooking on low heat for 25 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Crack an egg and gently beat with a fork.
- Squeeze in a bit of lemon juice while beating.
- Then gently add a tablespoon of warm broth to the egg mixture.
- While stirring the soup, gentle and gradually add the egg mixture. Add butter and horseradish.
- Using a hand blender, blend to desired consistency. Add a splash of lemon juice.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste.