Creamy Vegan Parsnip, Carrot, Butternut Squash, Sweet Potato Ginger Soup
Happy Tuesday, Soupers! Geez, it’s cold in Lausanne! As the beginnings of winter winds begin to blow, warm up with this creamy vegan parsnip, butternut squash, carrot and sweet potato soup with ginger, spices, and coconut butter and milk!
It’s the type of soup that will either give you the will to face the winter hawk, or resign yourself to stay indoors wrapped up in a warm blankie. Both options are fine, no judgment from us! For our friends in the Midwest and northeast US, stay strong and if you have to venture out, then do it the Chicago way, « Bear Down » Try it and we dare you to say you didn’t enjoy it!
1 lb of carrots, peeled and chopped and roasted
3 large parsnips, peeled and chopped and roasted
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped and roasted
1/2 butternut squash (scoop out the seed) and roasted
1/8 teaspoon rosemary
1/8 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon all spice
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1/8 teaspoon garam masala
Pinch of ground cumin
10 cherry tomatoes roasted
1 red onion
1 shallot (raw), chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 sprig thyme
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne powder
1/8 teaspoon spicy paprika
5 cup(s) vegetable stock
3 bay leaves
1 tablespoon lemon-infused olive oil
2 tablespoons apple-cider vinegar
Pinch salt and pepper to taste
1 cup, coconut milk (or almond milk)
1 tablespoon coconut butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 squeeze lemon
1 squeeze honey
Parsley for garnish
- Prep 25min
- Meal Time Lunch
- Serves 4
Roasted Carrots, Sweet Potato, Parsnip and Tomatoes:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Place all ingredients on foil-lined baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil and honey on on all ingredients . Sprinkle on rosemary, ground cumin.
- Roast all ingredients for 25-35 minutes, until they can be easily pierced with a fork. Scoop up contents and place in a separate dish.
- Heat 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil in large soup pot over medium-low heat. Add onions, shallots, garlic and sweat until translucent and soft.
- Pour in 1-2 cups vegetable stock. Add sweated vegetables, thyme, paprika, carrots, sweet potatoes, parsnips and tomatoes. Add just enough stock to cover the surface of the contents of the soup (you can always add more stock later to thin down, if necessary!)
- Season with ground cayenne, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, ginger, apple-cider vinegar, salt & pepper.
- Bring soup to a low simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or stand blender and add avocado (optional), coconut butter and milk, blend soup until smooth—you may need to do this in two batches depending on your size blender. Place soup back in pot and reheat to serve. Season and add a final splash of lemon.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.