Corn Soup with Chicken and Spinach
Happy Saturday, Soupers! It’s not quite “soup season” yet, but the cooler temps almost begs for a soup recipe. We found everything we need in this Corn soup with Chicken and Spinach.
We don’t have to feel sick to enjoy a delicious chicken soup. It’s light, easy and too good. While we have used mostly fresh ingredients, you don’t have too.
Canned corn and frozen spinach work really well. And if you prefer another green besides, we find that either chard or kale work just as well. If you really want to increase thickness further, just very slowly add a lightly beaten egg into the soup while stirring continuously. If you’re really daring, add a hearty green like collard greens. You can eat meals like this almost the entire year! Corn: Maize, also known as corn, is a cereal grain first domesticated by indigenous peoples in southern Mexico about 10,000 years ago.
- 1 can cream, sweet corn (optional)
- 1 can whole kernel corn
- 1 chicken thigh
- 1 lb chicken breast chopped
- 1 cup Spinach (fresh)
- 1 stalk of celery chopped
- 1 medium carrots (raw) peeled
- 1 red onion
- 1 leek
- 1 shallot (raw), chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 3 cup(s) chicken stock with 1 chicken bouillon cube (vegetable stock)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 spring, thyme
- 1 tablespoon, spicy paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon, turmeric
- 1/i teaspoon, ginger
- 1 pinch saffron (optional)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar Pinch salt and pepper to taste
- 1 squeeze lemon
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup,
- 2% milk
- Prep 25min
- Meal Time Dinner
- Serves 4
- Place pot on the stove at medium heat Add butter and stir around the pot with a whisk or fork until melting Gradually add flour to the butter and continue to stir without stopping Gradually pour in milk to the mixture without stopping The mixture should take thick consistency.
- Keep stirring until the mixture turns a light brown.
- With olive oil, season and brown the chicken thighs on both sides.
- Remove from heat.
- Bring chicken stock to a boil with bouillon.
- Add browned chicken, balsamic vinegar, paprika and bay leaves to the stock and cook on low heat. Make a roux (see video instructions above) Saute chopped red onions, green onions, carrots, leeks, garlic, shallots and then briefly remove from heat.
- Brown chopped chicken breast and then remove from heat.
- Saute spinach in the chicken breast liquid, and then combine other chopped vegetables.
- Add vegetables to the roux in a large soup pot.
- Stir together for one minute.
- Add the mixture to stock.
- Add corn to the soup pot.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and cook for about 35 minutes.
- Near the end of cook time (ten minutes), remove the bay leaves and thyme.
- Remove the chicken and using two forks, pull the meat from the bones.
- Discard the bones and add the chicken back to the soup.
- Beat eggs lightly and stir in lemon juice.
- Stir the lemony egg liquid back into the soup along with the remaining 1/2 tsp salt.
- Simmer it gently for a couple of minutes.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Finish with a splash of lemon juice and serve in a bowl.