Spinach, Sausage, Pinto Bean, Rice Soup
Happy Friday Soupers! You know, as Kermit the Frog once sang, “it’s not easy being green.” So we brought a little homemade focaccia to accompany this Spinach, Sausage, Been and Rice soup! Rich and brothy, this soup is so perfect for lunch and it’s fairly quick to make. In our case, we made it with all of the leftover food in the fridge. Hey, if it’s Friday, then it’s definitely leftover day in our house, so why not eat something tasty?
It’s so flexible, and you can add whatever you’d like. You can easily make it vegetarian/vegan too! So go ahead and give it a try and let us know what you think!
1 lb sausage chopped
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup cooked pinto beans
1/4 cup quinoa
1 large leek, trimmed, sliced, and well rinsed
1 bunch spinach or chard chopped
10 medium button mushrooms chopped
1 red scallion
5 cups (1,25l) chicken stock
1/2 cooked rice
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 sprig of thyme
2 bay leaves
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 squeeze of lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
Dill as final garnish
- Prep 30min
- Meal Time Lunch
- Serves 4
- Bring chicken or vegetable stock to a boil with an added chicken or vegetable bouillon.
- Remove the sausage from casing and lightly brown.
- Add sausage, balsamic vinegar, thyme, lemon juice, paprika and bay leaves to the stock and cook on low heat for 20 minutes, then remove the bay leaf.
- Melt olive oil in a soup pot and saute the leeks, red scallion, mushrooms, and garlic for 10 minutes, or until soft. Add in the spinach for another five minutes.
- Add vegetable mixture to broth.
- Add cooked rice.
- Stir in wine, ginger, lemon juice, turmeric quinoa. Gently simmer on low heat until cooked through, just a few minutes.
- Add the remaining dill, and salt and pepper to taste.