Lemon Chicken Soup
Happy Sunday, Soupers! Took a break last week to recover from a cold. This Lemon Chicken and Orzo rice soup was just what I needed to get back on track!
So if you’re looking for a delicious Lemon Chicken and Rice Soup, let this lemony goodness soothe your cold.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 leek
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- Pinch salt, pepper, and paprika
- ¾ cup cooked Camolino rice (Originario)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 slices of bacon
- 1.5 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 qt low sodium chicken stock
- 4 eggs (2 whole eggs + 2 egg yolks)
- ¼ cup lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 1 cup chard
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 can cannellini beans
- Prep 25min
- Meal Time Lunch
- Serves 4
- In a large pot over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add onion, garlic, leeks, carrots and 1/2 tsp salt and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the rice, bay leaf (if using), chicken and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes (uncovered), or until both the rice and chicken are cooked.
- Remove the bay leaf and transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Use two forks to shred the chicken. Return the chicken to the pot along with the spinach (if using). Simmer until the spinach wilts, about 2 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the 2 whole eggs, 2 egg yolks and lemon juice until smooth. VERY slowly pour in 2 cups of the hot broth while whisking constantly.
- Stir the lemony egg liquid back into the soup along with the remaining 1/2 tsp salt.
- Simmer it gently for a couple of minutes. Taste and add more salt if you think it needs it (depends on the chicken broth used).
- Stir in lots of cracked pepper. Serve topped with lots of fresh dill, a drizzle of olive oil and more black pepper.