Lemon, Artichoke and Hemp Soup
Happy Tuesday, Soupers! Guess what today is: “National Artichoke Hearts” Day and we’re all in for a celebration! Artichokes is a family favorite … now. That hasn’t always been the case. For the longest time, figuring out how to cook the hearts were intimidating. I certainly wasn’t sure how to add artichoke to a soup. Once I learned some key lessons in preparing them, we have artichoke in soup as much as possible. When we can’t find it fresh due to seasonality, then we just go with frozen or canned varieties found at the supermarket.
Now, this soup is special because it was the first time that I ever used Hemp seed and it turned out to be an amazing addition. Again, we like hemp so much, that we also use it as a nice thickening agent, like oats, when we don’t want to add diary to our soups. Have a look at this soup and give it a try — at least today because, after all it’s a holiday!
3 quarts vegetable stock
1 tablespoons olive oil
1 shallot peeled and chopped
1 garlic clove finely minced
2 cans of artichoke hearts
1 stalk of celery, chopped
8-10 large basil leaves
Juice of 2 lemons
2 tablespoons of shelled hemp seeds
Salt and pepper to taste
- Prep 20min
- Meal Time Lunch
- Serves 4
- In a skillet, heat olive oil with garlic, shallot and celery. Add salt and pepper and sauté for roughly 5 minutes. Squeeze in lemon juice and some of the basil leaves. Leave the rest for garnish.
- Remove contents from heat and place to the side in a bowl.
- In a pot heat the vegetable stock. Then add the celery and garlic mixture. Next add the artichoke and cook for about 20 minutes
- Add remove artichoke and stock mixture and add it to a blender along with hemp seeds.
- Blend ingredients at high speed until smooth. After blending pass the contents through a strainer in a large bowl.
- Add the remaining basil as garnish and drizzle oil before serving.
Want to comment?Sign in or Register