Fagioli Pasta Soup
Pasta Fragioli … that’s all! So what do you make on a chilly, Friday evening when you want good, comfort food? This Pasta Fragioli is the answer!
We make a lot of soups each week. Sometimes the best part about making them is finding out how they work with substitute ingredients. Here, we swapped out ground beef for Beyond Meat. Voila, you have a delicious plant-based answered to a hearty, meaty soup! While we didn’t have fragioli on hand, we discovered that macaroni makes a great stand in. The result? Empty bowls and very happy kids.
Measurement Conversion Chart
2 tbsp olive oil
1 lb Beyond Meat (plant-based beef)
1 shallot chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cans pureed tomatoes
1 quart vegetable stock
1 can tomato paste
2 tsp granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
3/4 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup dry fragioli pasta (our substitution: macaroni
1/2 cup orzo
1 can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can of cannellini beans with flava liquid
Finely shredded Parmesan cheese , for serving
3 tbsp minced fresh parsley
- Prep 15min
- Meal Time Dinner
- Serves 6
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat, crumble in plant-based meat and cook.
- Add onions, garlic, carrots, and celery and sauté over medium-high heat.
- Add broth, tomato paste, canned tomatoes, sugar, basil, oregano, thyme, marjoram, balsamic vinegar and cooked meat then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring pot to a boil then reduce heat.
- Add pasta and orzo and continue cooking on medium-low heat, cover with lid and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans to soup. Thin with a little more broth or water if necessary.
- Stir in parsley, serve warm with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Top off with parsley before serving.