Creamy Vegetarian Onion and Potato Soup
Happy Sunday, Soupers! No big plans today. Just kicking back and enjoying this creamy vegetarian Potato and Onion soup … so good!
This recipe is very similar to a soup we make, Creamy Garlic and Potato soup. What we loved most is that it’s a pretty quick meal to make and you probably already have all the ingredients on hand anyway. So go ahead and try it for yourself!
5 small potatoes peeled and cubed
1 red onion
1 shallot (raw), chopped
1 garlic cloves, chopped
4 yellow onions, chopped
1 green onion, chopped
1 teaspoon spicy paprika
5 cup(s) vegetarian stock
3 bay leaves
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Pinch salt and pepper to taste
1 cup, 2 % milk (soy, almond, rice or skim as alternatives work fine)
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon, crème fraîche or fresh cream
1 squeeze lemon
- Prep 0min
- Meal Time Lunch
- Serves 4
- Bring vegetable stock to a boil. Add balsamic vinegar, and bay leaves to the stock.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Chop potatoes, onions, leeks, garlic, and shallots and saute with olive oil over high heat for roughly 3 minutes.
- Add vegetable mixture to the boiling stock and continue cooking on low heat for 25 minutes.
- Near the end of cook time (ten minutes), remove the bay leaves.
- Remove the soup mixture from heat and cool for roughly 5 minutes before transferring to blender.
- Add milk and cream to mixture in the blender. Blend to desire consistency. Re-add the soup to the kettle and add a splash of lemon juice. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Finish off with the final sprig of parsley, croutons and grated cheese and serve in a bowl.