Creamy Red Lentil, Tomato, Micro Greens and Potato Soup
Happy Sunday, Soupers! Hot soup season is winding down, so it made sense to have just one more before we move on to our cold and fruit soups! This creamy Red Lentil, Tomato with micro greens soup does not disappoint. Pair with a grilled cheese and you’ve got a classic lunch-time treat that only the pickiest eater would reject.
Now, this soup is a kitchen cleaner soup. We’ve added in everything, from leftover eggplant and zucchini to canned tomatoes. It’s a perfect meal — even on a tight budget. As we’re still living under confinement due to Covid-19, it makes sense to still eat as many comforting, immunity-boosting, healthy meals as possible. Give this one a try. Stay healthy and eat well!
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1 cup Red Mizuna micro greens
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- 10 cherry tomatoes roasted
- 1/8 teaspoon coriander
- 5 medium potatoes cubed
- 1 leek
- 1 shallot (raw), chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 green onion
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 eggplant cubed
- 1 zucchini cubed
- 1/8 teaspoon Italian seasonings: lavender, parsley, basil, marjoram, oregano and rosemary
- 2 cans crushed tomatoes
- 1/8 teaspoon spicy paprika
- 5 cup(s) chicken/vegetable stock
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup blood red orange juice or one orange squeezed
- Pinch salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup, milk
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 squeeze lemon
- Prep 30min
- Meal Time Lunch
- Serves 4
1. Heat 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil in large soup pot over medium-low heat. Add onions, shallots, garlic and sweat until translucent and soft.
2. Pour in 5 cups chicken/vegetable stock. Add sweated vegetables, seasonings, red lentils, thyme, eggplant, zucchini, potatoes and tomatoes. Add just enough stock to cover the surface of the contents of the soup (you can always add more stock later to thin down, if necessary!)
3. Season with ginger, micro greens, paprika, coriander, orange juice and salt & pepper.
4. Bring soup to a low simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes.
5. Using an immersion blender or stand blender, butter and milk, blend soup until smooth—you may need to do this in two batches depending on your size blender. Place soup back in pot and reheat to serve. Season and add a final splash of lemon.
Want to comment?Sign in or Register