Creamy Spiced Vegan Pumpkin, Lemongrass, Sweet Potato Soup
January is « National Soup Month »! We thought we’d kick off with this delicious spicy and creamy vegan soup!
Spicy and delicious, it’s perfect for that last gasp of fall vegetables. once you blend it, it’s so silky and smooth. You’ll need to strain it though to remove the pumpkin string. Once you do, you’ll be ready to enjoy.
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped and roasted
1 medium pumpkin (scoop out the seed) and roasted
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
1 clove garlic
2 stalks lemongrass
1/8 teaspoon rosemary
1/8 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon all spice
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1/8 teaspoon garam masala
Pinch of ground coriander
1 shallot (raw), chopped
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne powder
1/8 teaspoon spicy paprika
Pinch saffron (optional)
5 cup(s) water
2 tablespoons apple-cider vinegar
Pinch salt to taste
1 cup, coconut milk
1 tablespoon coconut butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 squeeze honey
1 squeeze lemon
- Prep 25min
- Meal Time Lunch
- Serves 4
Roasted Pumpkin and Sweet Potato:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Place all ingredients on foil-lined baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil and honey on on all ingredients . Sprinkle on rosemary, ground cumin.
- Roast all ingredients for 25-35 minutes, until they can be easily pierced with a fork. Scoop up contents and place in a separate dish.
- Heat 5 cups of water. Add paprika, carrots, sweet potatoes, lemongrass and pumpkin. Add just enough water to cover the surface of the contents of the soup.
- Season with ground cayenne, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, garam marsala, saffron, ginger, apple-cider vinegar, salt & pepper.
- Bring soup to a low simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or stand blender and add coconut butter and milk, blend soup until smooth—you may need to do this in two batches depending on your size blender. Place soup back in pot and reheat to serve. Season and add a final splash of lemon.