Creamy Mushroom Soup
February 4 is National Mushroom Day in the United States. What better way to celebrate than by making Mushroom Soup? Mushroom soup is fast, tasty and healthy. This recipe is based on our Potato Soup, so give it a try and let us know what you think.
- 1/2 cup of white button mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup of shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces
- 1 red onion
- 1 leek
- 1 shallot (raw), chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 5 cup(s) chicken stock with 1 chicken bouillon cube (vegetable stock)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Pinch salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup, 2 % milk (soy, almond, rice or skim as alternatives work fine)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon, crème fraîche or fresh cream
- 1 squeeze lemon
- Prep 25min
- Meal Time Lunch
- Serves 4
- Bring chicken stock to a boil with bouillon with the split peas. Add balsamic vinegar, and bay leaves to the stock. Add salt and pepper to taste and cook for about 45 minutes.
- Add vegetable mixture from the pan to the boiling chicken stock and continue cooking on low heat for 25 minutes.
- Near the end of cook time (ten minutes), remove the bay leaves.
- Remove the soup mixture from heat and cool for roughly 5 minutes before transferring to a blender.
- Add milk, butter, and cream to the mixture in the blender. Blend to desired consistency.
- Re-add the soup to the kettle and add a splash of lemon juice. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Finish off with chives and serve in a bowl.
Want to comment?Sign in or Register