Creamy Garlic and Potato Soup*
Creamy garlic and potato soup…is there ever a bad time to serve it? Nah! When my kids and I were in Bratislava over Christmas, we had the most amazing garlic soup! LOTS of garlic and local paprika! So today felt like a great day to recreate in our kitchen…yum.
This recipe, adapted courtesy of The Spruce Eats website, was awesome. What we loved most is that it’s a pretty quick meal to make and you probably already have all the ingredients on hand anyway. So go ahead and try it for yourself and don’t forget the croutons!
- 5 small potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 red onion
- 1 leek
- 1 shallot (raw), chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon spicy paprika
- 5 cup(s) chicken stock
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- pinch salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup, 2 % milk (soy, almond, rice or skim as alternatives work fine)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon, crème fraîche or fresh cream
- 1 squeeze lemon
- Garnish: parsley, croutons and grated cheese
- Prep 10min
- Meal Time Lunch
- Serves 4
- Bring chicken stock to a boil. Add balsamic vinegar, and bay leaves to the stock. Add salt and pepper to taste and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Chop potatoes, onions, leeks, garlic, and shallots and saute with olive oil over high heat for roughly 3 minutes.
- Add vegetable mixture to the boiling stock and continue cooking on low heat for 25 minutes.
- Near the end of cook time (ten minutes), remove the bay leaves.
- Remove the soup mixture from heat and cool for roughly 5 minutes before transferring to a blender.
- Add milk and cream to the mixture in the blender. Blend to desired consistency.
- Re-add the soup to the kettle and add a splash of lemon juice. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Finish off with the final sprig of parsley, croutons, and grated cheese and serve in a bowl.