Chilled Yellow Zucchini and Hemp Seed Soup
Happy Monday, Soupers!
So, the weather is starting to change where we are, but we thought it might be fun to have one last chilled soup before officially entering “soup season”! This Chilled Yellow Zucchini and Hemp Seed Soup was an interesting choice and here’s why. Confession number 1: I’ve never tasted yellow zucchini; and confession number 2: I’ve definitely never tasted hemp seed, so I was really curious to find out what type of soup we could actually make. Now, my final confession: it was the teen girl who suggested we try. She’s not some sort of “sixties” soul (well…actually she is), but these days she’s into all types of grains and herbs. I tell you, when we decided to get her going on the healthy track, she has not slowed down one bit!
So what did we think? Our thoughts are mixed. While we loved the creamy texture of the soup — courtesy of the hemp seed and olive oil, we didn’t like the soup itself cold. But, here’s the kicker and what we LOVE about these little experiments. This “soup” makes an EXCELLENT salad dressing! Who knew? So when the kids, and quite frankly, me too, all made a collective frown upon tasting the soup, we reversed that frown after pouring this golden concoction over our baby spinach greens. So see? You can still make a delightful meal even if that recipe takes a detour. The recipe is below. Maybe you’ll feel differently, but let us know what you think either way! Happy eating!
1 tablespoons olive oil
1 garlic clove finely minced
3 small yellow zucchini, peeled and chopped
1 stalk of celery, chopped
1 ½ cups/ of cold water
8-10 large basil leaves
Juice of 2 lemons
½ tablespoonof shelled hemp seeds
Salt and pepper to taste
- Prep 10min
- Meal Time Lunch
- Serves 2
- In a skillet, heat olive oil with garlic, zucchini, celery. Add salt and pepper and sauté for roughly 5 minutes. Squeeze in lemon juice and some of the basil leaves. Leave the rest for garnish.
- Remove contents from heat and place to the side in a bowl. Now, lightly heat the hemp seeds.
- Add zucchini mixture and hemp seeds to a blender. Add the water and blend ingredients at high speed until smooth. After blending pass the contents through a strainer in a large bowl.
- Pour the strained soup into a mason jar and seal. Chill the jar in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- Add the remaining basil as garnish and drizzle oil before serving.
Want to comment?Sign in or Register