Chicken and Lentil Soup
Spring has sprung and winter has gone away for good — well not exactly, and that’s why this soup hits the spot on a cold and rainy day! The warmth of this Chicken and Lentil is sure to warm up any hearth. Have too much soup left over? Refrigerate it and the next day, dip some nacho, potato or any veggie chips into the soup and you’ll have an awesome snack! Give it a try and let us know what you think!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium carrot (raw) chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 leek
- 2 cups red lentils
- Pinch salt, pepper, and paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 qt low sodium chicken stock with one skinless chicken thigh
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1 squeezed lemon
- Prep 25min
- Meal Time Lunch
- Serves 4
- In a large pot over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add onion, garlic, leeks, carrots, and 1/2 tsp salt and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add cumin.
- Stir in the red lentil, bay leaf and cook until softened, about 3 minutes more.
- Add in chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes (uncovered), or until both the red lentil and chicken are cooked.
- Remove the bay leaf and transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Use two forks to shred the chicken. Return the chicken to the pot. Simmer about 2 minutes.
- Finish with a squeeze of lemon and serve.
Want to comment?Sign in or Register