Chicken and Gnocchi Soup
Happy Mother’s Day, Soupers near and far! When I was a kid growing up in Chicago, my mother used to make the most amazing chicken and dumplings dish. When I first met my mother-in-law in Lyon, France, she made me a similar meal. I think this meal worked so well for me in both cases because it was one of the most amazing expressions of mother’s love.
Everything about that meal suggests care and yet, it’s one of the fastest and easiest meals to make. So in our version, we didn’t make dumplings; we replaced them with gnocchi. Making this meal gave me a chance to pass on a tradition of making meals that are easy, simplistic and full of love.
- 1 16 oz package of gnocchi
- 2 chicken thighs and legs
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 endive, chopped (optional)
- 1 red onion
- 1 leek
- 1 shallot (raw), chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 5 medium mushrooms (optional)
- 2 medium carrots (optional)
- 1 stalk of celery
- 1/8 teaspoon spicy paprika
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- 5 cups of chicken broth with a cube of chicken bouillon
- 3 tablespoon flour
- 1/8 teaspoon of thyme
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 1 pinch of rosemary
- 2 tablespoon crème fraîche
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Prep 10min
- Meal Time Lunch
- Serves 4
- Season stew chicken with salt and pepper. Melt the olive oil in a slow cooker and brown the chicken for about 15 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Add chopped red onions, carrots, leeks, celery, garlic, shallots, green onion, endive and mushrooms to the slow cooker, stirring for about 3 minutes. Add spices: thyme and nutmeg and rosemary.
- Once browned, add chicken stock and cook on medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Add gnocchi and spinach to the mixture.
- Add balsamic vinegar, butter, crème fraîche and flour to the mixture and cover. Continue cooking for another 10 minutes. Stir on regularly and add salt and pepper to taste.
- The mixture should form a light sauce. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes and serve.