With corn season finally here, we can imagine picturesque rows of the sweet golden vegetable towering high in fields. It really is the definition of Autumn and can be used in a variety of ways, from smokey whole corn on the BBQ, to canned and frozen corn being thrown into hearty soups.
One of my favourite flavour combinations is tuna and sweetcorn. There’s a reason this famous duo can be found in various assortments, because it just works. With that being said, today’s recipe is all about taking tuna and sweetcorn to a new level.
Tuna and sweetcorn filo pizza is a fantastic quick dish that is light enough to be served as lunch, but can also be mixed with various other items to create a great pick and mix dinner. It’s cheap, easy and requires minimal effort. Whether you choose fresh, tinned or frozen corn is your choice, each will bring its own flavour to the dish.
In-fact, this really is the perfect store cupboard recipe. These are all inexpensive ingredients that if aren’t already in the back of one of your cupboards, can be found in most, if not all supermarkets. You just need some imagination, and some salt and pepper to bring the whole thing together…
● 5 sheets filo pastry
● 1 tin tuna, drained and flaked
● 1 tin sweetcorn, drained
● 4 tbsp creme fraiche
● 60g mozzarella, grated
● 2 tbsp olive oil
● Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and place a sheet of baking paper on a baking tray.
2. Place a sheet of filo on the tray, they lightly brush with olive oil. Layer the filo sheets and continue this process on each.
3. Mix the tuna and sweetcorn in a bowl, adding salt and pepper to taste.
4. Spread the creme fraiche over the top layer of filo, leaving approx 1 ½ inch from the border the whole way round.
5. Spread the tuna and sweetcorn mixture evenly over the creme fraiche.
6. Sprinkle the mozzarella over as a topping until evenly coated.
7. Place in the oven for 12-14 minutes until cooked and the filo pastry is golden brown.
8. Slice and serve.
Need a perfect companion for your Tuna and Corn pizza?
Find it in this Black Lentil, Spinach and Chickpea soup recipe here!